Comrades, dear Comrades!
We have indeed drawn a firm black line under the season’s official events. There may be a net before the year closes but no more games and no further socials either. But what joy was gleaned from Prosecco, good company, awards and merit and the great comradery of the SCC for our end of season drinkums.
Pogo Films sponsored the event with help from The Union Club providing us space to celebrate and cheer! All other contributions were from you yourselves, the finest cricketing comrades to ever walk the streets of Soho. Our home ground may well be the distant pastures of Suffolk or the closer, wild-life and midge infested plains of Regent’s Park, but our stomping grounds of celebration are firmly set in Soho and long may it last.
A turn out of more than a team with Umpires and scorers too, so a great success. Faces in the crowd too many to mention or remember but some new faces and those rarely seen; Looking forward to seeing more of Hudski (Menhaj Huda) next year and some more fixtures with Nickolai Nastarov (John Altman)
“But what about the prizes?” I hear none of you whimper. Here then are the results:
- Most Runs Scored throughout 2012: SAMOVAR (Sam Kankanamge)
- Most Wickets taken by bowling 2012: SOLDYA GRANMA FORRAFIVER (Dan March)
- Most catches by a fielder 2012: SOLDYA GRANMA FORRAFIVER (Dan March)
- Most catches by a Wicket Keeper 2012: ROBSKI (Rob Dixon)
- Most Improved comrade 2012: SEWELLSKI (Andrew Sewell)
- Captaincy Merit awards: COBRAMOVICH, MARX-B, YURI (Tim Graham, Mark Blacklegde, Philip Richardson)
- And finally, The Soho Cricket Collective’s Comrades’ Comrade Samovar Trophy went to COBRAMOVICH (Tim Graham)
This latter award was richly deserved by Cobramovich, who despite ties in many quarters holds the finest of Collectivist qualities, provided great guidance on the field and is also our most splendid comrade commissar of Cultural Affairs. It was close, may I add, one point each separated the top comrades. But there can be no doubt in Cobramovich’s worthiness and delight in receiving this splendid, if somewhat bloody heavy, award! Hurrah, comrade commissar!
From my humble self, the comrade commissar premier of the SCC to all comrades, to all those who played for and supported us and to all those with whom we battled, my most heart felt of thank you’s and may we all meet, play and celebrate again in the next season – SCC 2013!
Semper Sodales, Fors et Victores