For a standard match team selection, the Captain has the ultimate choice in selection for the game, from those on the availability list who fulfil:
• Paid their subs in full and with little delay
• The haste by which they made themselves available in the run-up to the match
• Their seniority in SCC membership
• Their suitability for a match and opposition
• If they were 12th man and didn’t play in a previous game they were 12th man for, they will be selected to play in the next game they are available.
In short, it pays to pay up quickly and it pays to volunteer 12th man for a match.